Friday, February 3, 2017

Plank with Leg Raise: Core Exercise for Runners [Ep44]



Try using the Plank with Leg Raise exercise to add some variety to your core strength workout and build strong abdominal muscles!

************************

SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=RunningRevolution

FREE STRENGTH PROGRAMME: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/ultimate-guide-to-strength-training-for-marathon-runners/?utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=yt_description&utm_campaign=yt_plank_leg_raise

MUSIC: by Lakey Inspired https://soundcloud.com/lakeyinspired

************************

I don’t know about you, but of all the plank core exercise variations, I find the standard front plank to be one that you can get reasonably good at, pretty quickly. After that point you just have to hold it for longer and longer.

I want to see runners being able to maintain a front plank for 60 seconds. But once you can do that, I don’t think there’s particular added benefit in being able to hold for 2, 3 or 4 minutes or beyond.

Instead of holding the plank exercise for longer, I’d rather make it more challenging for the abdominal muscles.

One of the ways we can do this is by loading the lower body one leg at a time, while maintaining good form.

The plank with alternate leg raise exercise achieves this really well.

Start in a plank position, with your belly button drawn in to help engage your core muscles, and your butt squeezed tight.

From there extend from the hip on one side and lift with a straight leg, to the point where you can’t lift any higher.

Slowly bring the leg back to the start position, with control, and repeat the movement on the other leg.

Switch between left-and-right for the duration of your set.

You should aim to be able to complete 3 sets of 30-60 seconds, with great form.

If you’re interested in how best to integrate this kind of core and abdominal training into your running programme, I’ve put together a free strength training programme for runners. I’ll leave in the description so you can download the programme and check it out.

Do let me know if you have any questions about the plank with leg raise exercise.

************************

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/kineticrev
FACEBOOK: https://facebook.com/kineticrev
INSTAGRAM: https://instagram.com/kineticrev

************************

ABOUT ME: I'm a runner, sports rehabilitation specialist and coach based in the UK (Norwich and London).

Since 2007 I've been working with athletes focusing specifically on helping distance runners and triathletes overcome injury and improve performance through developing their individual running technique.

Running biomechanics has become a geeky little passion of mine!

WEBSITE: http://kinetic-revolution.com

FREE 30 DAY CHALLENGE: http://kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/?sc=YT

KNEE REHAB PROGRAMME (LIMITED DISCOUNT): http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/stronger-hips-for-pain-free-knees/?vtid=ytd

RUNNING TECHNIQUE COURSE (LIMITED DISCOUNT): http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/running-technique-programme-v2-0/?vtid=ytd

************************

source

No comments:

Post a Comment